Thursday, February 3, 2011

Coming Home ... to a local economy

Pretty well all my adult life I’ve heard about a book titled Small is Beautiful, by A. F. Schumacher. But I’ve never read it. I love the title, and think I know what it means, but I’ve never read the book.

Well, I’m going to read it as soon as possible. I’ve just put it on hold at the library.

I want to read it because I just watched a ‘vimeo’ (whatever that is) at http://vimeo.com/19523798

Coming Home: E.F. Schumacher and the Reinvention of the Local Economy, by Christopher Bedford, is a bit of history of the E.F. Schumacher Institute in Great Barrington, Massachusettes. Mostly it’s about how community is made; how small, innovative loans help people, how community supported agriculture was started, what a land trust is, how local scrip keeps the local economy vibrant. Oh, and there's organic gardening and agriculture.

I felt good watching this. I felt hope. I felt that the ideas in it are right for now and the future.

I hope you do too.

Best regards,

Why’s Woman

No comments: