Monday, November 2, 2009

Why this woman needs to save the world

The world needs to be saved. I have a bit of spare time.

Elizabeth May, leader of the Green Party of Canada, has written a book titled How to Save the World in Your Spare Time. It is a brilliant book, a primer on how to go about social activism. In the first section she says that we have to plan the victory party, even as we plan the actions and do the work. I like this bit of positivity. It keeps me going. News media carry few stories where some good is done locally, nationally or internationally. I need good examples - people and situations - to keep me going in a world where there is serious damage being done to our environment. I am a gardener at heart. I read widely - from gardening to agriculture to environment. I want to more consciously make connections, ask questions and find the agents of change in the world.

No comments: