Sunday, October 13, 2013

GMO Protest participants ... good work ... and let's up our game

Hello everyone,

I hope this note finds you well.  Are you somewhere having the warm, sunny weather we're having this October week in London, Canada? 

I've just been listening to CBC news, a bit of coverage about the anti-GMO marches held yesterday, across Canada and the U.S., to protest genetic modification of crops and the corporations that developed and promote the technology (chemical companies out for profit and control).

I don't joke when I describe myself an an "uncompromising organic gardener".  I've stated here and elsewhere that the companies that develop and push GMOs worldwide are evil people.

I'm happy that many people come out to protest.

I want more.

I want the people at the protests to all have a fact-filled flyer in their hands.  At its smallest this would be an 8 1/2" x 14" double-side folded flyer, ie packed.  Protesters  need to have information about such things as:
- just what the patenting issues are and how they affect farmers in all countries and us
- agricultural comparative studies that show that organic agriculture has equal or better yields than GMO/pesticide agriculture
- to talk about Canada and the U.S., exact information about just what crops are grown GMO and their path in our food chain ... showing, for example, just how far the high-fructose-from-corn food amendment goes
- a summary of some of the feeding/animal health/death studies, with references, researcher names and universities
- documented examples of situations where Monsanto has sued farmers for having GMO plants - that the farmers didn't plant! -  found on their property, and the Monsanto money spent on prosecuting/persecuting farmers
- the situation for farmers in other countries ... how they are drawn in to what is equivalent to a first "hit" of special seed and then put in debt buying the pesticides necessary to grow them to maximum yield

I'm sure I'll think of other things. If I find a bit of time each day for a while to locate pieces of the above info ... maybe start with www.cban.ca and www.navdanya.org ... what'll I come up with?

My husband was just writing about the crises of environment affecting our honeybees and Monarchs ... referring to the need to have all roadways lined with flowers to create nectar/shelter paths, he wrote "we need to line our roadways with jewels of welcome".

Very best regards to all of you,

Why's Woman



No comments: