Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Yes to FEMINISM

Hi again!

I just thought I'd mention why today was a good International Women's Day.

First thing this morning I was listening to CBC Radio's The Current, which led off with a panel of 3 women, including one of my personal heroines: peace activist, physicist and feminist Ursula Franklin (age 89). I'm not sure if the youngest woman on the panel 'got' anything Ursula was talking about, but give a listen to the discussion to hear Ursula's certainty that there are still systems that need changing. It can be listened to at http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/ part one.
Today is the 100th International Women's Day.

The other thing I happened upon today is the blog post by Stephanie Pearl-McFee, at www.yarnharlot.ca/blogspot. Stephanie writes books about knitting and life. She's funny as anything, and I've learned one helluva lot about knitting, spinning, dyeing and life from her. I'm trusting she won't mind if I quote her first statements.

I am a feminist. I can say that unequivocally, because I know the definition. Feminism is defined, in every dictionary you will look in, as something like "the belief in the political, social and economic equality of the sexes." (It is worth noting that the word is equality. Not sameness, since the sexes are not the same, nor superiority, since that's not true either. Nor does it even define the gender of the person who would believe in this equality.) Since we do not yet have any of those things, I'm still a feminist, and I feel like were I to say I was not, I would be saying that I don't believe in equality, which I do. Firmly.

Anything I could say, she says better. Check her out, today and regularly!

All the best!

Why's Woman

No comments: